Acid Attack Advice
Ever wondered what to do in the event of an Acid Attack?
WATER, WATER, WATER – 40 to 60 litres of fresh or saline water should be doused continually on the victim/s. You should raise the alarm and get the emergency services notified as soon as possible.
Stop Acid Attack give the following guidelines.
Always treat the victim as soon as possible but take care to remain safe yourself.
1. The most important First Aid is to immediately wash affected body part of patient with plenty of fresh or saline water. Don’t rinse the burn area with dirty water as it can cause severe infection.
2. Keep flushing the affected burn area with plenty of cool water,(not very cold) until the patient’s burning sensation starts fading. It may take 30-45 minutes.
3. Remove all the jewellery or clothing which had contact with acid.
4. Don’t apply any kind of cream, ointment on the affected area as it may slow the treatment procedure by doctors. If possible, use sterilized gauze to loosely wrap the affected area. The gauze protects the skin from air, debris, dirt and contamination.
5. Rush the patient to a burn specialty hospital having isolated wards for burn patients or await paramedics.
Take care to remember any details or evidence that may be useful to Police later on.